SS Peter and Paul
In 1840 the old parish church (All Saints) was in such a bad state of repair that the then Rector and lord of the manor, The Reverend Robert Boothby Heathcote, decided to abandon it and build a new church on Chingford Green. Designed by Lewis Vulliamy, it was built at the rector’s own expense (£5000) and was dedicated by the Bishop of London on 18th July 1844.
Chingford was changing; the ‘pleasing rural village’ was becoming a major London suburb- a process speeded up by the coming of the railway in 1873. By the turn of the century, it had already become apparent that a bigger church was required, and Sir Arthur Blomfield drew up plans for an extended chancel and nave aisles, which were completed in 1903 and dedicated by the Bishop of St. Alban’s on 13th June.
The fine 12th century font was originally located in the Old Church, but was moved to the parish church when it opened.
The 17th century parish chest in which the records and registers were kept and the 18th century pulpit were likewise moved from the Old church.
The organ is a very fine instrument and was built by Norman and Beard between 1907 and 1908, and the installation completed in 1913. In recent years it has been thoroughly renovated with the aid of an English Heritage Lottery grant. A set of three bells were brought from the Old Church, but were returned in 1930 when a new set of six bells were installed here.
The St. Elizabeth Chapel was built and completed in 1937, along with its east window by Christopher Webb, depicting the Virgin Mary, St. Elizabeth, and St. John the Baptist. It is known more commonly known as the Lady Chapel.
The East Window, designed by Clayton and Bell, was installed in 1913, and depicts Christ in Majesty with St. Gabriel, St. Michael and St. Raphael.
There are two memorials to the Boothby Heathcote family and these are to be found on the North Nave wall. The reredos and sanctuary panelling were erected in 1923. The choir stalls were installed in 1913 and designed by C. J. Blomfield.
On 13th October 1940, a stick of bombs fell across the Green, one falling in the churchyard and seriously damaging the St. Elizabeth Chapel. Reconstruction had to wait until after the war. When the time came, three attractive windows by Christopher Webb were installed, depicting St. Hubert (in memory of Revd. Sidney Goldston), St. Christopher, and St. Francis (in memory of Teresa and Florence Craft).
The baptistry has a stained glass window dedicated to the Holy Spirit (in memory of Fr. Ian Pettitt, former Rector of the Parish).
The oak pews were added after the war.
Extensive repairs have been carried out recently to the roof and spire with the aid of an English Heritage Lottery Grant.